Examples with Short Tricks 2
Amar is as much younger than Raja as he is older than Kiran. Try to understand this sentence. According to this sentence you can understand that
- Amar is younger than Raja that means there is some X years difference between Amar and Raja.
- Amar is older than Kiranwith same age difference (X years) between Amar and Kiran.
But we know that the ages of Amar and Raja are 30 and 36 years.
So the difference between their ages is = 6 years
So the difference between Amar and Kiran should be = 6 years.
We know the age of Amar as 30 years and Kiran is younger than Amar for 6 years. So he should be of 24 years.
With a single glance you can calculate answer for these type of problems.
7. The average age of a class of 20 students is 20 years. When the age of the teacher is also included, the average will be increased by 2 years. What is the age of the teacher ?
we know that 20 students’ average = 20 years
20 people total age = 20 x 20 = 400 years
21 people average = 22 years
21 people total age = 21 x 22 = 462
we know the age of 20 students = 400 Yeras
we know the age of 21 people (20 students+ Teacher) = 462
so the age of Teacher will be 462-400 = 62 Years
8. The average age of a wife and husband, who were married 10 years ago, was 20 years then. Including a child the present average age of the family is 23 years. What is the present age of the child?
10 year’s ago average age = 20 years
10 year’s ago total age = 20 x 2 = 40 years.
to calculate their present total age, you should add 20 (10 for wife and 10 for husband) to the age of 10 years ago
=> 40+20 = 60 years (this is the present age of husband and wife) ———– (1)
according to the given data, present average age of the family of 3 members is = 23 years
so Total age of 3 members = 23 x 3 = 69 years. ——————(2)
but we know the present age of Husband and Wife = 60 years
so from equations (1) and (2), we can get the present age of the child is = 9 years
9. Five years ago the average age of a family of five members was 27 years then. Including a child the present average age is still same today. What is the age of the child now ?
5 years back average = 27 years
present average should be 5 +27 = 32 Years
So total age of the 5 members at present = 5 x 32 = 160 years —————–(1)
but its given that including the child, the present average is 27 years.
=> the total age of 6 members at present = 6 x 27 = 162 years —————–(2)
so from (1) and (2), you can easily get that the present age of the child is 2 years
10. The ratio between the ages of Karan and Arjun is 9:5 and sum of their ages at present is 56 years. How old will karan be after 4 years ?
according to given data their ages should be 9x, 5x
their present age = 9x+5x = 56 ==> 14x = 56
so x = 4
so present age of Karan is 9 x 4 = 36 years
after 4 years, 36+4 = 40 years 🙂
Note : To explain the calculation process in clear, we have mentioned these many steps for every problem. But in exams you should do almost all of these calculations mentally and try to avoid writing every single step.